July 16, 2017, 1:13 pm
Carmelo Anthony is still counting on the New York Knicks to resume trade talks soon.
The Knicks paused trade discussions involving the 10-time NBA All-Star forward as new team president Steve Mills and general manager Scott Perry pursued a meeting with Anthony in the coming days, according to ESPN.
But Anthony is counting on the franchise to carry out its previously agreed upon mandate to trade him to the Houston Rockets, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowsk.
After talking with the Rockets and Cleveland Cavaliers over the past month about a possible deal for Anthony, the Knicks told both teams they are stepping back from trade talks for a short time.
The Knicks are reshaping their front office after the departure of Phil Jackson as team president last month following three disappointing seasons.
The 33-year-old Anthony has been willing to waive his no-trade clause for Houston and Cleveland.
In recent weeks, Anthony has prioritized his desire for a trade to the Rockets to join Chris Paul and James Harden over one to the Cavaliers and LeBron James, league sources told ESPN.
The Rockets are determined to complete a deal for Anthony and believe he is focused on playing in Houston next season, ESPN reported.
Anthony and Jackson feuded through the media with the Knicks mired in a rebuild and Anthony, who signed a five-year, $124 million deal upon Jackson's arrival, failing to meet Jackson's expectations.
The Rockets reportedly aren't being bashful about paying Anthony his guaranteed salary ($26,243,760) for the 2017-18 season, but the final year of that contract in 2018-19 ($27.9 million guaranteed) might be a roadblock unless the Knicks are willing to absorb a portion.
Anthony averaged 22.4 points, 5.9 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 74 games in 2016-17, his sixth full season with the Knicks.